Saturday, March 29, 2008

Two Bite Orange and Rasberry Tart.

Orange and Rasberry tartlette? I am not really sure the classification for this dessert, but it sure is tasty. I guess you really cant go wrong with Fresh fruit, shortbread and whipped topping. For Easter I made a Lemon Curd Tart with fresh blueberries and strawberries. The tart was a success. It made the mad scientist in me come back out. I thought that if the lemon curd came out so well then what other flavors can I make. For this first adventure I did not stray to far from the mainland and tried Orange. OK, so orange is not so daring but the mad scientist did make a brief appearance when I tried one batch of chocolate. All it did was made a tasty frosting but that will have to be addressed at a later date, a lot of the kinks need to be worked out of that one. Back to the tastiness that was Orange. First thing that you do is make the orange curd, this can easily be made a day or so ahead this way it can fully set or you can just make them as you crave one. But if you decide to make it the day that you want to serve it make sure you give it enough time to chill.
Orange Curd:

  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup fresh Orange juice
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh Orange zest**
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 tsp of corn starch

***I put in one well packed tablespoon of orange zest. you really can not go wrong with more zest because most of it will not make it past the strainer.

Put all the ingredients in a double boiler and cook on med. You will want to be stirring it very frequently. Once it thickens whisk very frequently (almost constantly, you dont want it to burn) until a curd forms appox 10 min. (It is one of those things that you need to see to believe, and don't worry, if you are stirring it then you will not miss it). Take off heat and strain through a fine strainer. This will remove most of the zest and any larger chunks. Then cool completely. I pulled it out of the fridge a couple of times while it was cooling and stirred it with a whisk. This seemed to help it say together and keep creamy, or maybe it was curiosity that would not let me leave it alone. I defiantly need to work on that.

After it was fully cooled then I spooned it on top of a shortbread cookie, added some fresh raspberries and topped with a whip topping. This two bite tart is great weather you are serving it for a party or if you just need that little bit of sweetness in the middle of the night.

No comments: