Sunday, March 30, 2008

New addition to the Chicago Skyline


Growing up outside Chicago in the "Region", I was downtown often. Although not as often as I would of liked. Now that I am away from Chicago in the far off land of Boston I go back to the Windy City on my way back to visit the Region. I find myself making up excuses to spend some time in Chicago. The city has been one of the major driving forces for why I do what I do. Chicago has pushed the boundaries of the design world and has brought forth many of the great designers of the world. Well it looks like there is going to be another structure that will make ripples in the architecture world.

The new addition to the Chicago skyline is called Aqua and it is due to be completed in the year 2010. Aqua is a cast in place concrete structure that will be clad in Glass. The structure starts to escape the confines of the space creating a rippling affect along the facade. It is said that these curvilinear shapes are to become the balconies for the 82 story high-rise. It will be interesting how she plans to enclose those balconies. Seeing the pictures where there are not railings is very tantalizing.

I am glad to see that the curve is starting to show its face once again in the city. From Millennium Park to Marina city and Lake Point towers. Chicago has one of the most versatile and diverse skyline. It has always welcomed the new brush strokes that becomes the icons of Chicago.