Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Brownies!!! Brownies!!!!

So Brownies, I never really thought of myself as an accomplished cook. Don't get me wrong, I have some skills, but I don't categorize myself as a great cook. I like to experiment, I would put myself in more of the "mad scientist in the kitchen" category. But lately I have had the best luck with cooking even more specifically baking. All the brownies that I made, weather they were a mix or from scratch they would come out too runny or too cakey. I got fed up with them all and decided that I would make up my own recipe. I have to say that I hit the jackpot with this one. Try it out, it is not only easy but it is a good mix of cakey and fudgie.



  • 8 tablespoons of unsalted butter
  • 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 4 large eggs


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x9x2 baking pan. Line bottom and two sides with a strip of parchment paper. Leave approx 2" of overhang on each side so that you can easily remove the brownies after they are done. I tried changing the size of the pan and they did not come out. The proportions work great for a 9x9 pan, just an FYI.

In a large heat proof bowl cut up butter into tablespoon chunks and add semi sweet chocolate chips. Set over (not in) a saucepan of gently simmering water. Heat, stirring gently until smooth.

I typically start this process first and while the water is heating up I then mix the dry ingredients.

In a medium bowl mix four, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, sugar. Yep all goes in at once. Make sure that there are no chunks and the salt and baking powder is fully incorporated. It is important that everything is mixed well.

Once chocolate and butter is fully melted take off simmering water. Fold in half of the dry ingredients. Then add the eggs, make sure that the eggs are fully Incorporated into the mixture, then fold in the remaining dry ingredients. By adding half of the dry ingredients first it cools down the mixture enough not to cook the eggs.

Pour into pan and bake for 30-40 min. My oven is really bad so check after 30min to be safe. You can tell when the brownies are done when you put in a toothpick and larger baked pieces com out. A fully clean toothpick will not come out with these brownies. They will also look evenly puffy throughout. Let cool in pan for about 20 min ten take out and set parchment and all on a drying rack. Try your hardest not to eat them right away so you don't burn your mouth. I speak from experience.

If you cant wait they are pretty good warm but they are even better the day after.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I'm lucky that I live with you and get to eat those brownies. Yum!