Friday, November 28, 2008

Pumpkin Roll

Last year I tried this recipe for the first time. My mother always made it and I have always loved it. The funny thing about this recipe is that it is printed on the inside of the Libby's pure pumpkin. I have always thought that it was a recpie that was passed down through the family. I guess some of the best kept secrets are the ones that are not really too secret. As for for pumpkin I have tired many canned varieties and even tried to make it myself by scratch but the Libby's 100% pure pumpkin is one of the best. It has the most pumpkin flavor that I have ever had, and what is even nicer is that when you look at the list of ingredients there is only one ingredient. That makes me very happy. I have a big issue about things that are in storage that have additives to it. I know that they are there to preserve the ingredients but not a big fan of putting too many un-natural chemicals into my body that i really don't know what they are. The recipe is is pretty simple and can be made in a little more than an hour with cooling time.



Cake:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ground ginger (not in recipe but a nice additive)
1/4 tsp of salt
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cups of Libby's Pure Pumpkin
1 cup chopped walnuts (not something I use)



Filling
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese softened
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
6 Tbsp butter (unsalted is what i use)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I use a vanilla paste from Williams and Sanoma- really good)



For cake:
Preheat the oven to 375*F. Grease 15x10-inch jelly roll pan, line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper.


Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a Small bowl. Beat the eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. It will get creamy. Beat in the pumpkin, stir in flour mixture. spread evenly in jelly roll pan and sprinkle with nuts if you like.


Bake for 13-15 min. the edges will start to brown and the cake will spring back when touched. The cake should be about 1/4" to 1/2" thick. You want to feel like it is a very think cake. When you take it out of the oven sift powdered sugar on the top and drape a thin cotton kitchen towel over the top. You want to flip it out of the jelly roll pan right away. By putting the towel on the pan I can then use a cookie pan on top and flip it over onto the cookie pan. Roll up cake and towel together. You can roll it either way, I roll it so that i have a longer roll so it is a nice personal slice in the end. Let cool rolled up on rack.


For the filling:
Beat cream cheese butter and vanilla extract until creamy, add sifted powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Carefully unroll cake, remove towel. spread cream cheese filling over cake. Re-roll cake, gently squeeze cake to make sure there is a smooth and no major air pockets. Refrigerate to firm up filling. Before serving cut off edges and sprinkle with powdered sugar.


Its really a pretty easy recipe.

No comments: