Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style


The other night I was planning on going out for a movie with my friends and made a meal at their house ahead of time. I have always like Chicken Souvlaki but it has always been too messy for me whenever I eat it out. The nice thing about making it at home is that you control the portion thus controlling how sloppy the sandwich is. We did not have to much time before the movie so I grilled up something quick. I love the grill, it is one of the easiest thing to do and the cleanup is pretty simple. I started out grilling the bread, it was a pizza dough that I picked up at the supermarket. I have to say that dough is one of those things that I really don't mind cheating on because of the time it takes to properly make it. It is a great way to get something really fresh with little effort. padding out the dough as if I was going to make a pizza but smaller pieces allowed for great sandwich bread.
We marinated the chicken in a lemon and Orange juice mix with a little olive oil,salt, and pepper. It also went on the grill (as if that was not going to happen). If i could cook everything on a grill I think that my life would be complete. Hmmmm someday ill have to try cookies.. (thoughts of messy disaster running through my mind). Topped the chicken with fresh spinach and some home made Tzatziki sauce (see below). Damn it was a good sandwich and combined with Jalapeno corn chips from "food that should taste good" the meal was perfect for great grilling day.

The Tzatziki Sauce was the only thing that I prepared ahead of time, it tastes better if it has some time to sit. For those of you who may not know Tzatziki Sauce is a cucumber yogurt sauce. It is what ties the whole sandwich together.

Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup of cucumber puree without skins (seeds are fine) and keep it a little chunky.
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 a lemon
1 teaspoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced (OK you may not want to put that much in but I love Garlic)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
kosher salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine the cucumber puree and the salt and let it sit for 5-10 min.

Then just whack the rest of the ingredients into the bowl and put in the refrigerator for later. The flavor really started to get better after an hour in the fridge. Its pretty darn good right away but letting it sit is like letting chili sit for a while, it just makes it better.

No comments: