Thursday, April 17, 2008

Boston Commons Trees?


So what is up with the Boston commons Trees? My desk looks out to the commons and more importantly to me the wonderful greenery of the Boston Commons. OK so not all of it looks that great. A few months back there was a guy who did his own black ops mission and planted a tree in the commons. At that time I really did not think about it to much but he may have had a really good point. He may have gone about it the wrong way but the the vision of Fredrick law Olmsted is in jeopardy. If you walk through the Commons there are numerous trees that are chopped up and look like a sad ghost of the the grandeur of the previous trees that were there. At what point do we start to look at the vision that was designed and rehabilitate it. I understand that people are trying to preserve the vision on Olmsted but the design that was set forth was a living sculpture. When Olmsted designed the space he was aware that he was working with living entities. He knew that some day the trees of the Commons would die. The city needs to start revitalizing the park, remove the blighted trees and replant. If we keep on waiting and hope for the best then there will be no rotation of youthful trees in the commons. I would personally like to see some new growth throughout the park at different times then all at one time. Maybe I am over reacting but when you walk in front of the State House and peer upon the wonderful gold dome all that I keep on seeing is massacred trees. It just makes me a little sad.

No comments: